Fall In Love With Frankincense
How this versatile essential oil can support wellness in so many ways.
THE KING OF ESSENTIAL OILS, FRANKINCENSE
You may know Frankincense by a few different names, as there are a number of different species and varieties. There are 4 species of trees most commonly distilled to produce what is known as true Frankincense, all part of the genus Boswellia in the family Burseraceae. Grown in different parts of the world, the precious resin produced from these trees is then distilled for use in essential oils and blends. At Saje, we use 2; Boswellia frereana which is native to Somalia, and Boswellia serrata which is native to India. The resin produced from these trees also has a storied history of use in ritual and ceremony as incense, a key ingredient in embalming, and as a perfume. Read on to learn more about our top recommendations for use.
FRANKINCENSE TO FEEL CENTERED & GROUNDED
One of the most beneficial uses of frankincense is to help ease worries of the mind and encourage a meditative state. In her book “The Essential Guide to Oils”1, author Jennie Harding touts the spiritual uses of frankincense, sharing that “it can help to bring peace and balance, clearing your awareness as you deepen your spiritual understanding”. We know encouraging our mind to find stillness is an important part of self care, and we encourage incorporating frankincense in this way.
Products to consider:
- Goodnight diffuser blend - a rich and warming bedtime blend that also includes sandalwood and vetiver
- Present Moment diffuser blend - a centering and relaxing blend to bring peace, also formulated with grapefruit and ylang ylang
- Balance diffuser blend - a blend formulated to soothe and stabilize, that also includes geranium and clary sage
FRANKINCENSE TO EASE SYMPTOMS OF COUGH & COLD
For relief from symptoms of the common cold, frankincense can be very restorative and supportive. Dr. Eric Zielinksi, in his book “The Healing Power of Essential Oils” 2, sings high praise for this powerful essential oil: “known as the king of essential oils, frankincense is finally getting the attention it deserves as one of the most viable healing agents on the planet”. At Saje, you’ll find a number of products blended with frankincense in our line designed to treat and restore the body to optimal wellness.
Products to consider:
- Chest Comfort balm - a natural version of an age-old remedy to support relieving coughs, also formulated with rosemary and eucalyptus
- Sweet Comfort roll on - formulated to soothe coughs, runny nose and head congestion, and is also blended with benzoin and lemon
- Frankincense - 100% pure essential oil that can be added to a diffuser, or blended with a carrier oil like coconut, jojoba or grapeseed and applied to the throat and chest
FRANKINCENSE TO NOURISH & REPLENISH THE SKIN
Indications of frankincense to help calm and restore the skin are rooted in tradition and customary use. Many experts agree that frankincense is effective at soothing damaged skin (post sun or wind) and can also be balancing. As it relates to common skin concerns like blemishes or dryness, Valerie Worwood in “The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy” 3 says, “thankfully, certain essential oils have the capacity to balance the skin without making the glands produce more sebum and can sometimes provide the perfect solution”. We are big fans of the products in our skin care line that also contain other enriching ingredients like coconut oil and aloe vera.
Products to consider:
- Bare Face makeup remover - gently removes face and eye makeup, and is also formulated with lavender and witch hazel
- Bliss Mist facial toner - a hydrating facial toner also blended with rose and carrot
- Clay Cleanse face mask - a purifying and revitalizing face mask with cleansing kaolin clay and toning bamboo charcoal powder
known as the king of essential oils, frankincense is finally getting the attention it deserves as one of the most viable healing agents on the planet.
- Harding, J. (2013). The Essential Guide to Oils: all the healing oils you will ever need for well-being and vitality. London: Watkins Publishing, frankincense.
- Zielinski, E. (2018). The healing power of essential oils. New York: Harmony Books.
- Worwood, V. A. (2016). The complete book of essential oils and aromatherapy: over 800 natural, nontoxic, and fragrant recipes to create health, beauty, and safe home and work environments. Novato, CA: New World Library.