Holistic Health and Beauty: How Natural Skincare Can Transform You
Learn more about why the ingredients you choose matter
WHAT IS HOLISTIC BEAUTY?
As it relates to skincare, holistic beauty refers to an overarching approach to the way you look after and take care of yourself. The idea is that taking into consideration your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health can play a major part in your self-care practices, ultimately resulting in a healthy-looking, glowing and radiant complexion.
When we think more about the definition of holistic health and beauty, it’s tempting to consider only what we see on the outside. There are many ways to ‘quick-fix’ your skin with makeup and other cosmetics or procedures that produce temporary results, but in order to experience long-lasting effects, you need to take into account the whole of your lifestyle and habits in support of your goals.
In consideration of the ways in which your lifestyle choices and behaviors can have an impact on the overall look and feel of your skin, here are a few of the ways you can contribute to a healthy-looking, clear and radiant complexion:
- Prioritize sufficient hydration each day. This is paramount on a quest for soft, supple and touchable skin. Our bodies hydrate from the inside out and dehydration tends to show up quickly on the skin – in the form of dullness and pronounced fine lines and wrinkles.
- Eat in a way that feels balanced and right for you. Though there is no strong evidence to link certain dietary habits directly to poor skin condition, we know that a meal plan full of fresh, clean, antioxidant-rich foods supports not only the health of our skin but our physical, mental and emotional health as well.
- Make good sleep hygiene non-negotiable. Not one or two good night’s sleep per week, it needs to be all seven. Your body does its best work at night when you’re at rest, and this includes the way your skin produces new collagen as part of its repair process.
5 BENEFITS OF HOLISTIC WELLNESS AND BEAUTY
Though there are innumerable benefits to thoughtful consideration of the practices we employ to take care of ourselves, here we’re sharing five benefits of holistic wellness in skincare we believe everyone can find use in:
- Consider the ingredients in the products you use in your skincare routine. This consideration is not intended to vilify or demonize certain ingredients or brands, but rather to encourage you to pause and appraise a formula or an individual ingredient and determine if there is something available that may better serve you. The truth is that certain ingredients, like plant-based, nature-derived and naturally occurring ingredients do in fact have the edge sometimes over synthetics or lab-created ingredients, even if they are considered safe for use.
- You are more likely to see results if you’re consistent in your holistic skincare practices. In the same way it takes time to see results when we start a new workout regimen at the gym, your skin needs time to acclimate to a new product or ingredient. Short of a reaction or sensitization on your skin, it’s suggested to keep a product in your routine for 4-12 weeks in order to really see results.
- Another benefit of holistic wellness and beauty is a more positive self-assessment that can help boost your confidence and self-esteem. There is something to be said for the way that feeling better about ourselves because of the commitments we make to our health and wellness contributes to an enhanced state of overall well-being.
- A proactive approach is key to achieving optimal holistic wellness. When it comes to your skin, rather than waiting to treat skin conditions that arise, take an approach that includes preventative measures like choosing the right skincare products for your skin type, wearing SPF every single day (yes, even on the cloudy days) and seeing a licensed esthetician or dermatologist for regular check-ins and treatments.
- You’re likely to increase your overall health and well-being when you’re employing certain practices in part to take care of your skin, like eating a balanced diet, consuming plenty of fresh, clean water, sleeping sufficiently and choosing high-quality skincare products and ingredients.
5 HOLISTIC HEALTH AND BEAUTY PRACTICES YOU SHOULD TRY TODAY
With no shortage of suggestions in the ways that we can employ self-care, grow our wellness practices and add to our well-being tool kits, here are some of the beauty practices we think you should consider adding to your routine to support healthy-looking, happy skin:
- Try a facial massage. There are many tools and skincare accessories available on the market today that can help improve the appearance of the skin through facial massage. Popular tools like crystal rollers and gua sha can help support increased blood flow and boosted circulation for that fresh and glowy look on the skin.
- Enjoy the myriad benefits of a face mask. Treat this self-care ritual like a two-for-one; while your mask (of which there are many to choose) is setting on the skin, use this time to practice deep breathing or engage in meditation or journaling.
- Have you heard of face yoga? Try a quick google search to learn more about the different massage and stretching techniques and practices that are purported to stimulate, soften and relax the facial muscles for the appearance of a reduction in stress and worry and the way that this can show up on the face as tension.
- Invest in a pillowcase that is thought to help reduce the amount of creasing on the skin in the night (particularly for side and stomach sleepers) like those made from a satin or silk material. The softest pillowcase you can find (like 100% silk) can be extra gentle to skin while you sleep, also absorbing less of your skincare products. Most importantly, change your pillowcase cover at least every few days to reduce the likelihood of transferring any bacteria, dirt and oil to your skin.
- Load up on superfoods! We know that healthy-looking and happy skin starts on the inside, which is why it’s vital to treat your body right, in particular your gut microbiome. Imbalances in the gut and in our digestive system can lead to a whole host of unsavory conditions, including sensitive, inflamed and reactive skin. Keep gut-healthy foods in your daily routine like fermented foods and probiotics for optimal well-being inside and out.
5 HOLISTIC BEAUTY PRODUCTS WE’RE REACHING FOR
Here at Saje, we’re big fans of natural skincare. We’ve built an extensive line of skincare products formulated with well-researched ingredients that help support all skin types and a host of skin conditions like dehydration, dullness, blemishes and more.
It took more than two years of development for our team to create the product line we offer currently and we’re pleased to share more about some of our favorite products in the line that can help you reach your personalized skincare goals.
Radiance Mode clay face mask: this is a hydrating clay face mask, formulated to help brighten the skin, replenish moisture, even the skin’s tone and texture and create a radiant glow. We sourced innovative ingredients in the skincare space including kisolite clay, sourced in British Columbia, Canada and known to provide deep hydration and a boost of minerals, white mulberry root to soothe redness due to dryness and encourage vitality and red mandarin essential oil to balance skin’s oil production.
Bright Eyes eye cream: a long-awaited treatment eye cream, Bright Eyes was formulated to smooth, brighten, reduce the appearance of puffiness and protect the delicate skin in the eye area. Our formula includes eye bright, a unique extract from the plant of the same name that helps to protect the skin from environmental stressors and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, hyaluronic acid to attract water that helps to retain hydration and softness in the area and edelweiss extract, reducing skin sensitivity and helping to smooth the appearance of fine lines.
Claritea blemish care roll-on: this targeted treatment has been formulated to include pore-clearing and clarifying jojoba and black cumin seed carrier oils alongside an effective essential oil formula that includes tea tree, geranium, eucalyptus and thyme to help balance, soothe and cleanse the skin when used as a spot treatment, applied directly to the area of breakouts and blemishes.
Glow On oil cleanser: a first of its kind at Saje, we created this oil cleanser to act as the first step in a double cleanse routine, effective at removing SPF products and makeup or as a primary cleanser in a routine for normal/combination skin types. This unique formula uses a plant-based squalane made from fermented sugarcane to provide deep hydration, oat kernel extract to nourish the skin with vitamin E and antioxidants and parsley seed oil, the hero ingredient in the formula that provides a green, herbal aroma and benefits that include regulating oil production and brightening from vitamin C.
Claritea soap bar: this clarifying charcoal soap bar was created to be used as both a face and body bar for those who identify as having oily, acne or blemish prone skin. Used at the sink or in the shower, this bar is a formulation of oakwood charcoal to provide gentle exfoliation and absorption of skin’s sebum, RSPO-sustainable palm oil to provide a firm, long-lasting soap bar and essential oils of tea tree, geranium, patchouli and lavender to balance and soothe the skin.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE HOLISTIC HEALTH AND WELLNESS BEAUTY SPACE
We’ve written many articles to help provide more information about skincare, holistic health and wellness and how they intersect with one another. Please feel free to check out the articles below to learn more:
The Holistic Approach To Health: Natural Products You’re Going To Love
5 Components of Health and Wellness
Your Natural Health and Wellness Resource Guide
An Essential Guide to a Beginner Skincare Routine
Do something nice for yourself today. Find some quiet, sit in stillness, breathe. Put your problems on pause. You deserve a break.
— Akiroq Brost