The Importance Of Hand Washing: Clean Hands Are Healthy Hands
The most effective way to keep your wellness top of mind, and prevent the spread of germs or illness.
We know that supporting our wellness, and the wellness of those we love, is important for everyone. There are many ways we can positively impact our health and lessen our likelihood of getting sick, but what tops the list in terms of expert recommendations is simple: wash your hands. Often.
The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control Prevention (CDC), two of the most accredited organizations for health & wellness treatment and prevention techniques, are clear in their recommendations for the best ways to keep yourself feeling in optimal health.
Handwashing is the most widely recognized practice for helping to avoid getting sick. The (CDC) says that keeping your hands clean is “one of the most important steps we can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.” They go on to say that “many diseases and conditions are spread by not washing hands with soap and clean, running water.”
Washing your hands properly is just as important as hand washing frequently. The CDC has a step by step, easy to follow set of tips and tricks to ensure you are getting the most out of your lathering up.
The importance of hand washing is emphasized again and again this season. Follow these five steps every time:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or let them air dry
Another of the most important considerations in taking care of yourself is when and how often to wash your hands. The simplest answer? Frequently! Take this time for yourself, to ensure you’re putting your health top of mind.
The CDC says you are more likely to spread germs during key times, so it's important to wash your hands:
- Before, during, and after preparing food
- Before eating food
- Before and after caring for someone at home who is sick with vomiting or diarrhea
- Before and after treating a cut or wound
- After using the toilet
- After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
- After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste
- After handling pet food or pet treats
- After touching garbage
Our favorite Saje product to support happy, healthy hands is Clean Hands foaming hand soap a powerful, cleansing soap blended with essential oils reported to be restorative and fortifying, like tea tree, rosemary and thyme.
Check out our full line of 100% plant-based wellness products to help you feel your best during cough & cold season here.