WHY NATURAL BODY LOTION IS THE BEST CHOICE TO SUPPORT YOUR SKIN CARE NEEDS
An important part of our personal wellness practice is choosing self-care products made from clean, environmentally friendly and responsible ingredients whenever possible. We wrote this article to share with you the importance of being mindful that when we put ingredients on our body, such is the case with body lotion, it often means we’re putting ingredients in our bodies too, since many ingredients are able to permeate the skin and be carried to our bloodstream.
When we formulate natural body lotion, we’re mindful to steer clear of a number of ingredients we believe to be harmful to our health and unnecessary when considering hydration and suppleness of the skin. Below is a non-exhaustive list of ingredients you’ll never find in any of our body care products:
- Artificial fragrance. We never blend any of our products with fragrance that doesn’t come to us naturally as part of a plant, flower, tree or fruit’s essence. We believe that ingredients like ‘parfum’ or ‘natural fragrance’ are really just cleverly worded ways of saying “hidden chemicals”, which is why you’ll never see them listed on any of our products or packaging.
- Parabens. You’ll see these listed on the label of a product as butylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, or ethylparaben. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has the following to say when it comes to these preservatives as part of body care products and cosmetics: “Parabens can act like the hormone estrogen in the body and disrupt the normal function of hormone systems affecting male and female reproductive system functioning, reproductive development, fertility and birth outcomes. Parabens can also interfere with the production of hormones.” Why take the risk?
- Mineral oil. A petroleum by-product that leaves a film or a coating on the skin, often causing clogging to the pores and interferes with the skin’s natural ability to eliminate toxins.
All of that to say, at Saje we formulate 100% natural body lotions and other body care products free of these and other known potential skin irritants so you can feel your best from head to toe. Read on to learn more!
OUR FAVORITE NATURAL BODY LOTIONS
We’re big fans of our natural body lotions, formulated with good-for-you and good-for-the-planet ingredients that you can always count on having been derived directly from nature. When you’re looking for smoothing and supportive hydration, reach for one of these body care favorites:
Tingle Mint body lotion: this best-seller is sweet, minty and fresh. Tingle Mint is a well-loved line of body care products formulated with cooling, tingly peppermint, sweet, refreshing spearmint, warming, stimulating rosemary and bracing, medicinal tea tree. The base of our natural body lotions contains aloe vera leaf juice, high in antioxidants and a rich source of vitamins for protecting the skin and sunflower seed oil, rich in essential fatty acids that help maintain skin’s natural moisture barrier.
Goddess body lotion: winner of Best Body Lotion at FASHION magazine’s annual beauty awards in 2018, Goddess is a balancing, harmonizing and euphoric blend of sweet citruses and precious florals that come together to create a soft, nurturing blend. Zesty and zippy lime and orange meet sensuous and stabilizing rose, geranium, ylang ylang and palmarosa for a light and delicate hydration and scent experience for the body.
Lavender & Friends body lotion: relax into moisturized skin and a tranquil mind with this floral and herbal natural body lotion including nature’s most well-known flower for relaxation, lavender, with geranium to promote balance and overall well-being and clary sage, a powerful euphoric known to help bring stillness to the mind.
With all our body lotions, we suggest applying liberally to the skin to moisturize and help relieve dryness, particularly after bathing or showering when lotion will have an extra hydrating effect.
ANOTHER FORM OF NATURAL BODY LOTION: BODY BUTTER
Another type of moisture for the body comes to us as body butter, which for the sake of easy explanation is a thicker, richer form of a natural body lotion. The main difference between body lotion and body butter is water content; lotion has more and butter has less. When deciding which format is right for your skin, consider the amount of hydration your skin needs. Here are some of the body butters we offer:
Tantra body butter: ignite your senses and promote a full-body glow with the tantalizing notes of sweet orange, floral champa, woody sandalwood, warming ginger and earthy patchouli that comprise this sensuous and exotic blend.
Sleep Well body butter: add this restful and relaxing before-bed skin-soother to your nightly routine when you’re looking for skin that feels nurtured and restored. Blended with essential oils renowned for their ability to induce peace and calm, like valerian, jasmine, lavender and neroli.
Muscle Melt body butter: help soothe and renew your tired, overworked muscles with this comforting blend of sweet birch, rosemary and marjoram in a skin softening base that includes coconut oil and vitamin E for smooth, touchable skin.
Yoga body butter: the newest scent to join our body care collection, Yoga is a well-loved grounding and balancing formula, now available to hydrate and deeply nourish the skin on your body. We’ve blended earthy and peaceful patchouli, sweet and relaxing orange and floral and citrusy neroli for the ultimate natural body moisturizer.
All our body butters use a base that contains three different butters: shea, cocoa seed and mango seed. Shea butter is rich in fatty acids and vitamins known to help soften the skin, cocoa seed butter contains natural plant compounds called phytochemicals which are known to help visibly reduce signs of aging and to help minimize sun damage and mango seed butter, high in vitamin A to help stimulate the skin’s natural renewal process.
PRODUCTS TO COMPLEMENT NATURAL BODY LOTION: JUTE & JOYS
Our most popular body care product, the Jute & Joy, is a soap-filled wash pad made of a natural, biodegradable and compostable vegetable fiber called jute, known as an environmentally friendly and renewable resource that doubles as an excellent body exfoliator. The soap contained in the jute fabric is 100% natural, free of artificial fragrances, dyes and alcohol so your body feels cleansed and refreshed and your skin stays soft and balanced. Our collection of Jute & Joys currently offers these two varieties:
Tingle Mint Jute & Joy: this invigorating and stimulating blend is made from minty and fresh peppermint and spearmint, warming and revitalizing rosemary and cleansing, deodorizing tea tree.
Goddess Jute & Joy: this floral and euphoric blend is made from sweet and citrusy orange, warm and musky ylang ylang, rich and balancing rose geranium and tart, zesty lime.
PRODUCTS TO COMPLEMENT NATURAL BODY LOTION: SKIN CARE
We’ve recently grown and expanded our skin care collection to offer four brand new lines of products designed to support fresh, healthy skin for all skin types; normal/combination, sensitive/reactive, dry/mature or oily/acne prone skin types. These clean, green and highly efficacious products were thoughtfully and carefully formulated with 100% plant-derived ingredients to help support your best skin, ever. Here are a few of our favorite products from the collection; please check out this article to learn more about the full skin care lines.
Glow On oil cleanser: a first of its kind at Saje, we formulated an oil cleanser that can act as your primary facial cleanser or the first step in a double cleanse routine. Our Glow On oil cleanser is blended with antioxidant-rich parsley seed oil, known to cleanse and tone the skin, plant squalane, fermented from cane sugar to provide non-oily hydration, oat kernel extract, a non-gluten, non-soy form of ceramides to help fortify the skin and elemi essential oil to promote a youthful glow and help protect skin from the elements.
True Dew moisturizer: a rich, nourishing facial moisturizer formulated with hyaluronic acid which attracts 1000 times its weight in water to support hydrating and softening the skin, rosehip oil, high in linoleic and phenolic acids to protect against oxidative stress, rose otto essential oil to visibly smooth the signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles and frankincense for its soothing and renewing properties.
Calm-O-Mile face oil: intended for use as the final step in your skin care routine, this gentle and balancing face oil was created to soothe and strengthen the skin. Camellia seed oil, high in fatty acids, helps to hydrate without leaving an oily residue, evening primrose oil renews and provides deep hydration, blue chamomile oil is known to be light and nurturing to both the skin and the mind and roman chamomile oil offers natural anti-inflammatory benefits to help ease the appearance of redness.
LIFESTYLE TIPS TO INCORPORATE NATURAL BODY LOTION INTO YOUR PERSONAL HYGIENE ROUTINE
Many of us use body lotion and other body care products regularly as part of our personal care routines, which is why making the swap to natural is so important. Below are a few tips for getting the most out of the products you’re using:
- Read the label. Before purchasing any product intended for use on the skin, read through the ingredients to ensure some of the most notable offenders aren’t on the list: look to avoid ingredients like alcohol, artificial fragrances, perfumes, parabens, talc, propylene glycol and many more.
- Shake it out. When in doubt, give your products a good shake before use. It’s natural for a small amount of separation to occur when using natural self-care products and it’s not harmful or does not negatively affect the way the product performs.
- Good to the last drop. Because natural body lotion and other body care products don’t use any synthetic preservatives or stabilizers, try your best to use the product completely within the allotted suggested time frame printed on the packaging, which is typically 6-12 months for lotion and 3-6 months for body butter, to ensure optimal freshness of ingredients.
Nurture the body with plenty of nature.